Thursday, January 8, 2009

Chicken Tortilla Soup

This is a mild soup that my whole family loved. I got it from a cookbook that my sister's ward put together. I made one change however, I added white beans at my daughter's suggestion. Also, I had frozen, cooked chicken, so it was even faster. When I buy chicken in bulk, I always can some, flash freeze some, and cook some, which I then cut up and put in 1 lb. freezer packages.

64 oz. chicken broth
4 chicken breasts, cooked and diced
1/2 c. uncooked rice
3/4 c. salsa
1/2 c. chopped onion (opt.)
1 can white beans (opt.)

Bring broth, rice and salsa to a boil. Cook 15 minutes until rice is tender. Add chicken and onion and simmer 5 more minutes. Serve soup over a bowl filled with broken tortilla chips and top with cilantro, shredded cheese, avocado and chopped tomatoes.
We didn't have any cilantro, avocado or chopped tomatoes, but it tasted great anyway. I fixed cornbread and honey butter to go along, and it was a perfect fit.


0 comments: