
I love the flavors of fall! I started with the basic vanilla pudding recipe from America's Test Kitchen Cookbook and added canned pumpkin and spices. This dish is great warm or chilled... with a dollop of cream and a dash of cinnamon.
I made this pudding last week and it was gone before I got a chance to take a picture. So I just had to make it again! Oh darn. This is seriously yummy and perfect on an autumn day.
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon salt
3-1/2 cups half-and-half (milk works too... whole or 2%)
3 large egg yolks
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1- 15 ounce can of pumpkin
1 teaspoon cinnamon*
1/4 teaspoon ginger*
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg*
1/8 teaspoon cloves*
*I just eyeball it with the spices... so tweak as necessary!
Combine sugar, cornstarch, spices and salt in a medium saucepan. Slowly whisk in the half-and-half (or milk) and egg yolks. Turn on the heat to medium-high and bring the mixture to a simmer... whisking gently, but constantly. Reduce heat to medium and continue cooking until mixture thickens... thick enough to coat the back of a spoon... about 1-2 minutes. Stir the butter and vanilla into the pudding. Add the pumpkin and stir well.
If you pour it into a large bowl, place a piece of plastic wrap or wax paper on the surface to prevent a skin from forming and chill until set, about 3 hours.
If you pour it into small bowls, chill until set, about 1 hour... or less if you are impatient like me.
Wednesday, October 8, 2008
Pumpkin Pudding
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
Boy...does that look good! I can't wait to try it.
Post a Comment